Embed a diagram from Google Drive into Confluence Data Center and Server
Use the Embed draw.io diagram macro to connect to Google Drive and embed a diagram file you have stored there.
Tip: If you don’t see this option, your Confluence administrator will need to enable it in the draw.io configuration options.
- Edit the Confluence page on which you want to embed your diagram, then type
/drawto insert a macro. Select Embed draw.io diagram.
- Click the Google Drive tab. If you haven’t allowed draw.io to access your files on Google Drive, click the blue Authorize button, and follow the prompts to allow access.
- When you return to the file picker, click Choose.
- Find and click on the diagram file you want to embed, then click on the blue Select button.
Tip: Diagrams that were saved as .drawio files will show a diagram preview, but you can also embed draw.io diagrams that were saved as .xml files.
- Check the preview to make sure you have the right diagram, then click click Insert to embed your diagram file from Google Drive into your Confluence Server page.
The Embed draw.io diagram macro will not show a preview while you are still editing the Confluence page. Save the page to see your embedded diagram.
Tip: As well as embedding diagrams from other Google Drive, you can embed draw.io diagrams stored in Microsoft OneDrive, from a different Confluence page, from a URL, or a text file with CSV data stored on the internet.
If authorisation to access Google Drive is revoked
You can revoke draw.io’s authorisation to access your files in Google Drive from within your Google account. If draw.io is not authorised to access the account where the diagram is stored, people viewing the page on Confluence will see a note to Authorize draw.io to access Google Drive.
When you reauthorise draw.io to access your Google Drive files, the diagram you embedded from there will display as before.
If the Google Drive integration is disabled
If an administrator has disabled this feature in the Confluence Administration settings, you will see a Diagram attachment access error. Please contact your administrator, or add it to the Confluence page using the draw.io Diagram macro instead.
What happens to embedded diagrams if draw.io is uninstalled?
The embedded diagrams and files in Confluence will no longer be able to be displayed. This will be displayed as if the macro is broken (no macros are deleted though). Of course, no data on Google Drive is deleted!
When you reinstall the draw.io app for Confluence Cloud, as long as the connection with Google Drive is still authorised, your diagrams and files will be displayed again, no further steps necessary.